msteffens
Site Admin

Re: state of project?

Hi Oliver,

thank you so much for your understanding and for your warmhearted words!

And yes, keeping the communication alive also helps me and is very welcome.

I'm very much looking forward to getting the project going again.

Thanks again,
Matthias
lerone

hey Matthias,

hope you are doing well & life is not mean to you?!

Just my 6-monthly check-in for where the temperature of this most promising project stands – ... as it is as needed as ever :-)

Anything you can let the virtual community of followers know?

Appreciate any indication, even if short.
And hope you are under good weather at the end of this 'interesting' year (another one)...

very best from Berlin,
oliver
msteffens
Site Admin

Hi Oliver, many thanks for your continued interest!

For the most part, my spare time is unfortunately still spent with dealing with life issues. I.e., time available for development remains scarce.

That said, I've worked on quite a few smaller issues and improvements, e.g.:

• made some important fixes for crashing bugs
  • implemented better handling of:
    • deleted elements
    • files located on network volumes
    • file URLs containing aliases
    • preformatted & metadata blocks
  • added basic navigation within PDFs
  • support for re-opening a document via its keypoints:// URL
  • cmd-opt-clicking a Keypoints link will open its target element in a new window
I still have a few bigger topics to tackle. For example, to be useful to a broader set of users, my app should allow for import of PDF annotations as well as for export of notes & annotations.

During the last months, I've increasingly tried to use my app for my own reading & knowledge management tasks[*]. This has already helped to identify (and get rid of) some pain points w.r.t. the app's usage/workflow. I would love to continue these initial tests with a few dedicated users who are willing to work with the app (even if some crucial parts are still missing or unwieldy). Let me know if you're interested.

[*]: In this zettelkasten.de forum post, I’ve given an example of how I use my app reading a book and structuring/filtering the reading notes with structure (aka overview) notes and tags. Especially, the post describes how one can use Keypoints to "filter notes by other notes".

In any case, I will definitely continue working on this app as much as I can.
Best, Matthias
TheBigO

msteffens wrote: 11-Dec-2023, 15:11 ... I would love to continue these initial tests with a few dedicated users who are willing to work with the app (even if some crucial parts are still missing or unwieldy). Let me know if you're interested.

Best, Matthias
I'd be happy to test the app and give feedback on any portion you like. I regularly work with digital books, PDFs, etc. that I annotate for future use. Your app is exactly what I'm missing from my workflow.
Thanks for considering me.
The Big O
lerone

hey Matthias,

I am sorry to hear that life isn´t really giving you all the deserved breathing space.
But I guess anyone mildly involved in 'normal' life fabrics these days can empathize and knows / can guess what you are talking about!
So, best energies for all that!

As to progress, and testing:
that´s great you still can muster up energies and resources and – not least – motivation for this.
And it would be a pleasure to be one of the helping hands / contributing testers and conversationalists for this great project.

So, feel free to loop me in – and let me know in case I should provide you with an email (– otherwise I assume you can use the one I used for forum registration here, right?)

very best & have a nice run-up to festivities and the (hopefully) calmer period of the year!
oliver
msteffens
Site Admin

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Oliver, I really appreciate the kind words & wishes!

Thanks also for your interest in testing the app. I will contact you privately.

W.r..t. testing, it's important to understand that this is alpha quality at best. I.e., the app still lacks important features and a lot of polish, it has bugs and may crash. That said, what's there should hopefully work fine. And while it's easy to create a manual backup of all your notes (just select all notes and drag them to your desktop or into another editor), there's no automated backup/export yet. For all of these reasons, the app should not be used for critical work yet.

Matthias
lerone

✋😃
TheBigO

🤘🏼

Return to “General”